The types of cases I work on are as follows:
Probate (When there is a Will):
- Probating a Will in Surrogate’s Court.
- Appointing successor Executors if an Executor has died or can no longer serve.
- Ancillary Probate – getting an Executor appointed in NY, when an Executor is appointed in another State, or foreign country, and there is NY property.
- Will contests.
Administration (when there is no Will):
- Getting an Administrator appointed in Surrogate’s Court.
- Appointing successor Administrators if an Administrator has died or can no longer serve.
- Ancillary Administration – getting an Administrator appointed in NY, when an Administrator is appointed in another State, or foreign country, and there is NY property.
Kinship cases, cousin cases, cases involving the Public Administrator:
- Representing family members when the Public Administrator has been appointed for the Estate.
- Kinship proceedings which occur after the Public Administrator has filed an Accounting proceeding and refers to the family members as “alleged” (This often happens with cousins, but can happen with closer relations as well.
Wrongful death, real estate partition actions, reverse mortgages:
- Wrongful death – In addition to having a family member appointed on behalf of the Estate, I can assist with referrals to the most appropriate New York firms for the particular type of case. I have extensive experience and contacts among the top plaintiff’s personal injury attorneys.
- Real Estate partition – Cases involving family member’s rights to real estate through inheritance.
- Reverse mortgages – These can be paid off as part of an Estate but an Estate must be established first and the reverse mortgage holder handled properly. I have also had success in using reverse mortgages to resolve inter-family real estate disputes with an intra-family buy-out using a reverse mortgage.
Lawyer to Lawyer referrals – I believe one of the best services a lawyer can provide a client is a great referral. I have many years of experience in the New York legal community. Not only would I usually have a suggestion regarding an appropriate referral, I am willing to advocate on clients behalf with the appropriate attorneys and help negotiate the fees, if applicable.